We are a geospatial data science research group at the University of Delaware. We use multi-scalar satellite images and Geographic Information Systems (GIS) tools to investigate a wide range of environmental issues such as crop responses to weather variability, smallholder farming, vegetation trend, food and nutrition security, and urban sustainability. We conduct our research in different parts of the world including Asia, Africa and the USA.
Are you planning to join a vibrant research group for your graduate studies? Or are you an undergrad looking for research experience? Come work with us!! Contact us for more details on how to apply to UD Geography.
- EASEL lab undergrad I. Ventimiglia will be supported through a DE Space Grant Summer Research Internship for her Vietnam project. Congratulations, Isabella! (March 2021)
- Dr. Mondal delivered an invited seminar at the School of Environmental and Forest Sciences at the University of Washington. (March 2021)
- M. Walter won the First Prize - second year in a row - at the Graduate Student Paper Competition at the 2020 Fall meeting of the Middle States Division of the American Association of Geographers (MSAAG). Way to go, Matt!!! (October 2020)
- A. Qadir is the recipient of the 2020 Ta Liang Memorial Award sponsored by the American Society for Photogrammetry and Remote Sensing (ASPRS). Congratulations, Abdul! (January 2020)
- Dr. Mondal delivered an invited talk at the 2019 American Geophysical Union (AGU) Fall Meeting. (December 2019)
- M. Walter and A. Qadir won the First and Second Prize, respectively, for their oral presentations at the 2019 Fall meeting of the Middle States Division of the American Association of Geographers (MSAAG). Congratulations, Matt and Abdul!! (October 2019)
- A. Qadir won the First Prize for the poster competition organized by the International Statistical Institute (ISI) and ESRI. Congratulations, Abdul! (August 2019)
- M. Walter won the First Prize for his poster presentation at the Human and Climate Series III: Water Management and Policy Symposium. (Spring 2019)
- M. Walter received UD Mather Graduate Fellows Research Award for 2019-2020 to partially fund his thesis research. Congratulations, Matt! (June 2019)
- Dr. Mondal received a University of Delaware Research Foundation (UDRF) grant to study coffee landscapes in Vietnam. (Apr 2019)
- Dr. Mondal delivered a talk on a collaborative work on monitoring Sustainable Development Goal (SDG) monitoring at the 4th Open Science Meeting of the Global Land Programme in Bern, Switzerland. (Apr 2019)
- EASEL lab will be attending the American Association of the Geographers (AAG) annual meeting at Washington D.C. PI Mondal will be delivering a talk, while MS students Qadir and Walter will be presenting posters. (Apr 2019)
- Dr. P. Mondal received a General University Research (GUR) grant to study changing rice intensification patterns in Vietnam. (Mar 2019)
- Undergraduate researchers Jessica Clark and Callie McFadden are recipients of Center for Food Systems and Sustainability (CENFOODS) internship. Congratulations Jessica and Callie!! (Feb 2019)
- Dr. P. Mondal received a grant from the Delaware Energy Institute to work with PI Prof. C. Archer on the energy footprint of food. (Jan 2019)
- EASEL lab members (Dr. Mondal and A. Qadir) presented their work at the 2018 American Geophysical Union (AGU) Fall Meeting held in Washington D.C. (Dec 2018)
- EASEL lab PI Dr. Mondal attended the Annual Rutgers Climate Symposium as an invited speaker and panelist in November 2018.